Wednesday 14 August 2013

Live Performance Review: Prom 40 (6 Music Prom) (BBC Proms 2013), Monday 12.08.2012 22:15 The Royal Albert Hall, London

At the point of having got my ticket for this, it was only Laura Marling's name attached to the bill. She is one of the two performers I assured myself I would try my damnedest to see perform this year, and at the point of tickets being available for this, it was not clear if she would be touring in any conventional sense. I got my ticket and it was only weeks later that I found out it was a mixed bill, by then national dates for a solo acoustic tour by Laura had been announced. Although I would have preferred a solo show by Laura I did not feel aggrieved, as I still felt that it would be interesting and it's not like it is One Direction she was sharing the bill with.

The point of this prom is an attempt to try to bring together classical and popular elements of music without resulting in a mass or compromised product.

The bill consisted of the London Sinfonietta performing work by themselves and accompanying The Stranglers, Cerys Matthews, Anna Stephany (Mezzo-Soprano) & Laura Marling. The couple of songs by Cerys, including one from the times of Henry V and Blueberry Hill, was very enjoyable. I find that every time I hear Cerys I am reminded how much I enjoy her singing. Due to having got a programme - which I don't often do - I became aware that last year she released an album, Tir, sung in welsh. I like how the welsh language sounds, and just from the samples I can hear on Amazon it sounds very promising.

The pieces that the London Sinfonietta did by themselves were very good. These were Ionisation by Edgard Varese (chosen as it was the first piece of recorded music purchased by Frank Zappa) and Principia by Steve Martland. The first solely though monumentally percussive and the second very funky and sounding as though the ends of musical phrasing has been left off.

The single piece that Anna Stephany did with the London Sinfonietta I was not impressed by. It appeared to be an energy drainer.

The Stranglers did the first song of the concert and the last three. These included 'No More Heroes' & 'Golden Brown'. All of The Stranglers songs were rearranged to be performed along with the London Sinfonietta. To be to the point, I did not enjoy The Stranglers, I did not feel there music was up to the same quality as that being performed by the other musicians.

About half way through the concert was Laura's section. Laura performed the suite that is at the beginning of her peerless new album. The final song of her performance 'Breathe' was accompanied by the London Sinfonietta and was rearranged for this. It was pretty clear that most of the audience were there to see Laura and I was impressed to see her hold a room of that size with such understated ease. I was very impressed and pleased to have seen this performance and am now even more excited by the prospect of her solo acoustic concert in Edinburgh on the 25th of September.

Rating: 08/10.    

No comments:

Post a Comment