Monday 19 August 2013

Live Performance Review: Pierre-Laurent Aimard/Marco Stroppa (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2013), Sunday 18.08.2012 22:00 Main Hall, The HUB, Edinburgh 

This was a performance that married piano with electronics. Some sections had the two elements separate and some appeared to have them sympathetically combined. 

The opening section to my ears sounded like the jagged piano heard  in Stanley Kubrick's 'Eyes Wide Shut' (1999), which I greatly enjoyed. It sounded as though notes were being allowed to fully finish before the next note was progressed to. The electronic contribution reminded me of the music from Goblin that forms the soundtrack to 'Susperia' (1977). I felt the electronic and piano elements were both very enjoyable, and their melding I felt to have been handled with a deftness of touch. This felt like no hokey bringing together of disparate sounds without care (as can sadly often be the case). This felt unfamiliar and invigorating. 

There is a further performance of these musicians and a further percussionist joining them, at the same time, same venue, on Wednesday eve. I am now greatly anticipating this. 

Rating: 10/10.     

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete