Wednesday 28 August 2013

Live Performance Review: Ensemble musikFabrik performing A Tribute to Frank Zappa (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2013), Wednesday 28.08.2012 20:00 The Usher Hall, Edinburgh 

This began with a piece that had distinctly clashing elements. The second piece was disquieting and quite urgent. 

I felt the music of the third piece was sparse and somber, though also sadly depressing and dragging. It appeared to go on an age and I was aware of thinking when 'will this piece end, it is awful'. The very essence of tedium. And on it went...        

This was a very interesting performance and the musicians are clearly very able, though I did not enjoy it. It struck me as being akin to being present at a recording of incidental music for an abstract film. I also suspect that the sounds would work very well accompanying some films. 

I was also aware that when closing eyes, the sounds were more tolerable, when watching the performers I could not help but find it to be pompous. This was compounded by having a gentleman sat next to me who in every piece was doing a condescending smug chuckle to himself where he would make a single 'huh' sound without opening his mouth and shrug his shoulders at the same time. I could not see what he was finding humorous, and it did not appear as if others were 'getting it' either. His laugh confirmed he also knew that the masses would not be .getting it'. Clearly a proponent of pomposity. 

Rating: 02/10.  

No comments:

Post a Comment