Thursday 29 August 2013

Live Performance Review: Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2013), Thursday 29.08.2012 20:00 The Usher Hall, Edinburgh 

I had first become familiar with the work of this choir about three or four years ago. I had been particularly taken with some acapella singing towards the end of the Shane Meadow's film 'Dead Man's Shoes' (2004). The music did not feature of the soundtrack album and was not listed in the credits at the end of the film. I landed up staying up all night (on a school night) hunting it down on the internet. This resulted, by the end of the night, in my knowing that the hauntingly beautiful music was recorded by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir, and it was to arrive within days on CD. When I noted them in the brochure, I had no hesitation in knowing I wanted to see them perform.   

The entire performance was acapella. The choir consisted of 27 singers, 14 female & 13 male, and the conductor. 

This was an incredible performance. Phenomenal, in the literal sense. If I had to choose a section that was better than any other, then I would have to say the 'Rachmaninov All-Night Vigil', which was meant to conclude the performance was particularly of note. We were then treated to a lovely bonus encore piece of 'an old Estonian song'. Remarkable and staggeringly sublime, one of the finest performances I have ever had the pleasure to experience. I cannot praise highly enough. Perfect!

This I cannot rate. It was too great for such categorising.    

No comments:

Post a Comment