Sunday 18 August 2013

Live Performance Review: Meredith Monk & Vocal Ensemble performing On Behalf Of Nature (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2013), Sunday 18.08.2012 14:30 Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh, preceded by Meredith Monk In Conversation (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2013), Thursday 15.08.2013 17:00, Main Hall, The HUB, Edinburgh

I went to this on recommendation. It was a complete punt, I knew nothing of this person's work beforehand, the person who made the recommendation thought I would find this interesting.

This performer and her collaborators relay upon a form of singing that does not use words, just sounds. This in itself should not be a problem, though I felt it made it very difficult to understand how the performance related to nature and could have just as easily have been said to relate to cake.

The costumes were made by recycling the performers own clothes and therefore can suggest environmental consideration/protectiveness. Though again if you were not aware that the costumes had this source, then it added nothing.

I don't wish to be unnecessarily rude, and won't be. I don't begin to 'get it'. Easiest to say 'not for me'. Though I will say that to my mind, the thought I was repeatedly having was that it appeared a case of 'emperor's new clothes'.

I don't feel it is possible or appropriate for me to rate this performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment