Tuesday 27 August 2013

Live Performance Review: Eh Joe produced by Gate Theatre Dublin (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2013), Tuesday 27.08.2012 21:00 Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh

This is a performance of a work by Samuel Beckett. I had got my ticket when I learnt that the actor Michael Gambon was going to be part of the performance. 

If I had paid closer attention to the information in the brochure, I would have noted that the work's director is Atom Egoyan, and that would have sold it to me straight away. He had directed one of my favorite films, 'Exotica' (1994). I had only noted this on the day of the performance and this caused me greater sense of anticipation. 

I had noted that the play was short though did not investigate further prior to the performance. Gambon was the only actor on stage. He played the part of an older man retiring to bed, to then have trouble sleeping due to being disturbed by a (female) voice that appeared to be internal. The focus appeared to be upon the man's troubled reflections on his life with shades of guilt, regret and shame. Gambon's performance was wordless with his unease conveyed purely by his facial and body language/expressions. 

The performance was riveting, engrossing and in my my view faultless. What Gambon was able to convey without speech was quite remarkable. I have not yet been to many theatre productions as is a medium I have felt cautious of, though even to my ignorant brain I could tell this was a production of the highest quality. 

Rating: 10/10.  

No comments:

Post a Comment