Wednesday 21 August 2013

Live Performance Review: Pierre-Laurent Aimard/Marco Stroppa/Samuel Favre (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2013), Wednesday 21.08.2012 22:00 Main Hall, The HUB, Edinburgh 

This performance consisted of two pieces with an interval between. The first piece was Pierre by himself at the piano. The second piece involved Pierre along with his collaborators on percussion and electronics, to perform work of Stockhausen.

The first piece was of a similar nature to the second in terms of structure and timing appearing 'leftfield'. It was perfectly enjoyable, though the 'daddy' of the performance was the Stockhausen.

I feel I have considerable difficulty in trying to convey the nature of Stockhausen's music, though I know I enjoy the work of his that I am aware of. The piece was truly beyond description, except to say that there were elements that felt subtle and others brash, some elements felt funny and others somber, I could go on...I felt the work was able to elicit a myriad of emotional responses at various points in the piece. I was also aware that I had a 'Cheshire Cat' grin throughout most of the piece.

I found the piece both in terms of performance and structure to be fascinating. After the performance was done I felt a form of elation, and was aware of thinking that I was extremely happy to have experienced this performance.

Pierre performs by himself on Friday morning at the Queen's Hall. I feel a modicum of excitement.

Rating: 10/10.   

No comments:

Post a Comment