Wednesday 14 August 2013

Live Performance Review: The Poet Speaks: Homage to Allen Ginsberg Performed by Patti SmithPhilip Glass (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2013), Tuesday 13.08.2012 20:30 The Edinburgh Playhouse, Edinburgh 

The prospect of this performance was too intriguing to miss. To have two performers of the stature of Smith ad Glass focused on the works of Ginsberg was quite a prospect. It was only once the performance began that I realised I had never been to a poetry recital before.

The performance began with Glass accompanying Smith in reciting some of Ginsberg's work. There was then sections of Smith (with the accompanyment of some guy on acoustic guitar) and Glass doing solo performances. Smith did both her own work and Ginsberg's. Glass's section, if my understanding is correct, was three pieces performed as one flowing into another, that had initially been composed in collaboration with Ginsberg to accompany his poetry. Then towards the end Glass and Smith paired up again.

The work had an intensity to it that I liked. The words and their flow conveyed a power that confirmed the adage that poetry is a medium that should be heard. There is something about the flow (or at times lack of) to Ginsberg's work that I think requires a performer of some skill to convey. Phillip Glass's solo section I found very rich, subtle in areas and brooding in others.

I am in no way sure as to what I expected. I am aware that I had some in trepidation due to this being quite an alien form to me, though subsequently feel as though not much more could have been done for me to have found it more inviting. Patti's voice I found to have an assured quality that enabled it to sound calming, rousing and galvanizing.

I enjoyed this performance, more than I had anticipated. This is the most I am aware of having enjoyed poetry. I feel as though this may have gone some way to opening me up to more live poetry recitals in the future. This felt to be a performance of such quality, though also of such novelty for me, that I have a sense I will ponder and mentally return to this one for some time to come.

Rating: 10/10.            

No comments:

Post a Comment