Saturday 30 August 2014

Live Performance Review: Ubu and the Truth Commission produced by Handspring Theatre Company (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2014), Thursday 28.08.2014 20:00 Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh

This is a revival of an older piece by Handspring, to commemorate 20 years of democracy in South Africa. Handspring Theatre Company are the ones who went on to make Warhorse. The details recounted in the play are based on archives of testimonies given in the hearings of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission. 

The play follows a mixed race couple in South Africa in the lead up to and during the goings-on of the Commission. The white male of the couple has clearly kept a lot of his activities from his partner and he appears concerned at what may come out. The play follows him as details he tried to hide come out and he begins to unravel.   

This, at last, is a multi-media production that gets the balance of the differing elements correct. The production uses documentary footage and photographs grounding the play in the harsh reality of the apartheid era in South Africa. This is well balanced with simple though effective animation, which assists to convey the reality of this brutal period without overly traumatising the audience. There is also beautiful puppetry. The puppets which represent humans giving their testimonies are so captivating they further encourage the viewer to give concentrated attention to what is being conveyed.The play manages to have elements of humour without being insensitive, and I found the whole thing to be transfixing. 

In terms of 'theatre productions', I would still tend to think of myself as dipping my toes. Theatre is a medium that I feel I am still finding my way with and am not yet entirely comfortable. I strongly suspect that this is at least in part due to my strong love of film, where anything can be shown and does not need to be gestured towards. Having digressed for a moment, I wish to conclude by saying I feel this is a very well considered and balanced piece, and is the finest theatre production I have yet seen. 

Rating: 10/10.   

No comments:

Post a Comment