Friday 15 August 2014

Live Performance Review: Robert Newman's New Theory Of Evolution  (Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2014) Friday 15.08.2014 20:30 Stand In The Square, The Stand Comedy Club, Edinburgh

I first saw Robert perform at The Glasgow Royal Concert Hall in 1994, and then again in the Glasgow Garage in 2005 on a double bill with Mark Thomas. In my view Robert is the most cerebral and informative comedian there is. A couple of month's back I had heard of this show and it receiving rave responses. 

I had not realised Robert was performing in the Fringe this year until I was sat in the Stand Comedy Club on the evening of Friday the 8th, waiting for Josie Long to come on, reading a pamphlet where Robert's show was advertised. I got a ticket the following day...

The show was a very well considered, erudite, intelligent and funny monologue arguing that cooperation is as important as competition when considering ideas concerning evolution; and in evolutionary terms the misfit is more likely to survive than the fittest.

The amount of knowledge being conveyed within the theory being proposed was mesmerising. This was not the most laugh-out loud comedy performances I have attended, though it is without doubt the first comedy show I have seen that I would truly consider profound. This man should have a far greater audience than he has, though then he doesn't really do nob gags as such.

Rating: 10/10.           

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete