Thursday 21 August 2014

Live Performance Review: Concerto Italiano (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2014), Thursday 21.08.2014 17:45, Greyfriars Kirk (Unreserved Seating), Edinburgh

Concerto Italiano are regarded as one of Italy's finest Baroque ensembles. The performance alternated between instrumental pieces and madrigals. 

This was very pleasant performance. Although, reflecting my ignorance, while the performance was happening I did somehow come to think it was one long piece with differing passages. I was particularly impressed by the three violinists, and in terms of the vocalists I was struck by the expressiveness of the tenor, Luca Dordolo. The soprano Anna Simboli was also notable, though I feel the three vocalists were collectively let down by the second tenor, Gianluca Ferrarini.   

I feel this has addressed my curiosity in terms of Italian Baroque music. On the whole impressive, though not sure it is quite my cup of tea.  

Rating: 07/10.  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete