Sunday 17 August 2014

Live Performance Review: Beyond Zero: 1914 - 1918: Performed by Kronos Quartet (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2014), Monday 18.08.2014 20:00, The Festival Theatre, Edinburgh 

Sadly this was a bit frustrating.

The quartet started and all was going lovely, I was enjoying the music, though I was distracted by the thoughts of 'when are the other multi-media elements going to kick in'.

Every now and again there were sounds or other music coming in along side the live music from the quartet, that was okay. When the screen finally got going, I felt there was far too much  damaged elements of photos/film, rather than focusing upon stuff that you could actually see what was happening, which sadly was just a fraction of what was being displayed. I had expected for the music being played to try to have some synchronicity with what was happening on the screen, this may be my ineptitude though I was struggling to see that (if it was there).

Truth be told, I though that what the quartet were playing from the off, was actually managing to convey elements of conflict and battle. This is not the sort of thing I would usually pick up upon, though I vividly recall being struck by how skilled they were at getting that across. I felt the other multi-media elements actually got in the way. Once I realised these other parts were a distraction, I closed my eyes and just enjoyed the quartet. Had it just been the quartet, I suspect I would be giving top marks, though as it was compromised...

Rating: 08/10.

- Happily, I get to see them again tomorrow night without distractions.
We'll see if they pull it out the bag tomorrow eve.    

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete