Monday 18 August 2014

Live Performance Review: Kronos Quartet (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2014), Tuesday 19.08.2014 20:00, The Usher Hall, Edinburgh 

This was largely a very enjoyable performance. There was a good range of pieces being performed, including pieces by Philip Glass, Laurie Anderson & Clint Mansell, as well as pieces by composers from Syria, Mali, Canada & elsewhere.

The only piece I was not keen on was the final one, I found this to be too heavy on the sampled contributions to the piece. I also found it disrupting that there was a passage in the middle of the piece where the quartet had no contribution to make. It was an interlude of war sounds.

I was particularly taken with the first piece, which had some electronica elements, and the Clint Mansell pieces from the films 'Requiem for a Dream' (2000) & 'The Fountain' (2006) (Both directed by Darren Aronofsky). The pieces which come from film work felt to be the most dramatic along with the Syrian piece which I also particularly liked.

I have no criticism, though I did not feel this to be outstanding.

Rating: 09/10.     

No comments:

Post a Comment