Sunday 10 August 2014

Live Performance Review: Ladysmith Black Mambazo (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2014), Saturday 09.08.2014 20:00 The Edinburgh Playhouse, Edinburgh 

I'm going to do something I don't often do, and that is assume people know who Ladysmith... are. I, like many ignorant western whities, became aware of them when they were the best thing about Paul Simon's 'Graceland' album in 1986 when I was 10 years old. 

From start to finish this was an utter joyous delight of perfect singing and harmonising with some funky moves and amusing larking about. Several of the songs caused waves of joy resulting in water leaving my body with disturbing regularity. When they sang 'Homeless', the best piece from the 'Graceland' album, it was all too much. A wondrous night. 

Tomorrow night I get to see Ladysmith... provide the music for the Zulu ballet Inala, I anticipate that this should be a blast. 

Rating: 10/10.   

3 comments: