Monday 11 August 2014

Live Performance Review: Inala: Performed by Ladysmith Black Mambazo & Dancers from Rambert & The Royal Ballet (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2014), Sunday 10.08.2014 20:00 The Edinburgh Playhouse, Edinburgh (WORLD PREMIERE)

This was being advertised as a Zulu ballet. As well as dancers from Rambert & The Royal Ballet, there were other freelance dancers. The music was provided by Ladysmith Black Mambazo plus several musicians giving an instrument backing to Ladysmith... This is one element it took me a wee while to get into. Having heard Ladysmith... perform just the night previous, as they should be heard, i.e. a cappella, I found it took some adjusting. 

There were impressive leather costumes with head-gear for the male dancers and graceful floaty dress for the females. All of the dancers appeared to be well matched in terms of physicality and fluidity. There were some interesting moves which I assume may well be based within African dance.

An element I particularly liked was that the professional dancers where quite often 'mixin'-it-up' with the men of Ladysmith. I found it refreshing that there was this explicit collaboration between the precise and the funky. This appeared to be a very successful fusion of the classical/trained and the tribal/traditional. This is also the element that I feel worked best and felt to be genuinely groundbreaking. 

By the end, the entire performance felt to have worked well and I felt the entire piece was enjoyable. I am aware this may read as damming with faint praise. I did genuinely enjoy the whole experience, though in terms of dance, it was not up there with the very best I've seen within the International Festival, which to me are 'Groupo Corpo' (2010) & the 'Batsheva Dance Company' (2012). These are the two dance performances that I found to cause use of a string of superlatives. 

In terms of being honest, I also have to say that Ladysmith..., they were very good and I have not an iota of an issue with their performance, though again it is impossible not to be aware of that niggling thought that I wish they could have sung more a cappella. - This causes even greater appreciation for having seen them the night before doing what they do best. 

I certainly would have no hesitation in recommending to people who enjoy vibrant, colourful displays. This was upbeat feelgood - loose though cohesive, as opposed to stunned by brilliance, though that does not make it any less impressive.

Rating: 10/10.     

No comments:

Post a Comment