Friday 17 August 2012


Live Performance Review: Rodrigo Y Gabriela (Edinburgh Festival Fringe), Thursday 16.08.2012 19:00, H.M.V. Picturehouse Edinburgh, Edinburgh 

I thought the easiest way to do this was to print a copy of the email I sent to D.F. Concerts (admin@dfconcerts.co.uk), requesting a refund, this way I don't waste any more of my time than needs be. Here is the email:

Hello,

I've spoken with Frances Bell in DF Concerts this morning and she informed me to write.

I spoke with the manager of the venue, Rory Callaghan, last night and he gave a note of your number and informed me, and others who were very disapointed to contract yourselves regarding a refund.

There is a bit of history to this, so bear with me.

I was meant to see them in Glasgow at the Academy in February, though had an ear infection, which meant I would not have been able to hear properly so did not go.
I subsequently heard that the sound at the gig was awful, the backing band whenever playing drowning out the lead musicians, so did not feel to agreeved at missing it. (The Scotsman gave this conert one star)

When I saw the adverts in the metro for the concert last night, there was no mention of Cuban backing musicians (which was clearrly identified as part of the show for the february concert), so I thought this meant they were back to performing as a duo, and thought I would give it a try.

Needless to say that at the concert, it was set up for a full band, and lo and behold it was, and the same isssue about sound mixing/levels was there again. I could only last just under 1/2 an hour before I realised I was waisting my time. I waited this length in the hope that larger chunks may be performed by R&G, though it did not happen. The very average bass player was given a lengthy solo, which just added to how bad the whole experience was. I fully understand why The Scotsman gave it such a bad review.

I wish a refund, and I feel this is justified on two fronts. 1) I feel it was mis-sold, when adverts for previous leg were clear about this set up, and this time they were not. 2) The sound was appaling.

I would appresiate a response as soon as possible please, with the hope that you will be asking for details to make a refund to me.
----------------------
The response by email at 16:50 on Wednesday 29.08.2012, was as follows:

Dear XXXXX

I am writing in response to your email below with regards to the Rodrigo
y Gabriela concert at the HMV Picture House on 16 August.

Whilst we appreciate that in the past Rodrigo y Gabriela have performed
as a duo, their current album is in collaboration with the Cuban
musicians who performed at this concert, therefore we feel it was not
unreasonable to expect them to be performing in this format.

We do feel that this enhanced the experience rather than detracted from
it and there were parts of the performance where Rodrigo y Gabriela
performed without the band.  As such we do not feel a refund is due in
this case.

Best regards, 
Lynne Ross
-------------------------
I feel the above response was insulting, as I don't think anyone who has paid to see particular musicians, and then cannot hear those musicians over the lesser skilled backing musicians for most of the time, would consider it to be an enhanced performance.

Anyway, I do always feel it is worth trying, if dissatisfied, as detailed above, and still feel this way, even if potentially only get a response of no depth as above.
-------------------------  

To add insult to injury, the support was dreadful as well.

Rating: 0/10. (Because they should learn from previous damming reviews, though appear to not take note of what is reasoned criticism.)

6 comments:

  1. Totally agree. This was a monstrous mixture of rotten sound engineering - the bass levels were so high I felt sick - and a miserable concert. £50 down the pan for two of us to attend and leave early.

    No more HMV Picture House for me, ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you contacted DF for a possible refund, I think the more of who complain, the more chance there is.

      I actually have been to some very good gigs at the venue, and have a couple more booked in - John Cale + The Tallest man on Earth. I have no issue with the venue. I do question the ability of R&G, as to me musicianship also includes having a good sense of balance within sound.

      Thanks for the comment anyway.

      Feel free to check my other reviews out. There will be more coming as I experience more stuff.

      all the best,
      s. monki.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete