Saturday 4 August 2012

Live Performance Review: Nina Conti: Dolly Mixtures (Preview Performance: Edinburgh Festival Fringe), Friday 03.08.2012 20:30, Pleasance Dome, King Dome (Unreserved Seating), Edinburgh


I had been curious about seeing Nina Conti for some years, then she was on Q.I. and then fronted two fascinating documentaries on BBC4 earlier this year; then when I saw the Festival Fringe Programme, she was one of the first I looked up.

I've been to preview performance before, there are two benefits; it's cheaper & can be edgier as less rehearsed.

I enjoyed the performance overall, although had to agree with a friend who was present, with the view that it could have done with less puppets and for it to have therefore had more focus - it was a bit bitty. Aside from 'Monk' the depressed monkey, who she is probably best known for, the puppet I enjoyed most was a pit-bull called Killer (odd for one who, to put it mildly generally does not like dogs). I was sat in the front row, as is my want, and was as usual, colorfully dressed, which Killer took offence to and was threatening to attack me before being tucked away. I was highly amused by this. The previous puppet 'Nina's daughter' - based on her younger self, had also asked if I was her mother's stalker - what to expect if you sit in the front row.

It had been due to the documentaries earlier in the year, that I had an awareness of the psychological aspects of what is going on within the act. Some of the characters do appear to have a function of 'coping method' while also being funny and therefore a source of income.

She had also honestly said at the start of the show that with some newer puppets, they had not performed in front of an audience before, and was not clear as to who some of them really are yet, this is at times revealed to her through doing the performing. There does appear to be a questing honesty to her performing which also due to its 'work in progress' nature also contains in the details of the performance an inherent edge/danger of 'does anyone including her, know where this may go'. She is someone I find quite intriguing. Here is the rub, I don't know whether I find her more funny than I do find her psychologically quite fascinating. Either way presently I feel that I may be interested in seeing her again - probably on a 'Preview' night, and whether this is driven by finding her funny or withing to observe out of intrigue is neither here nor there.

Rating: 07/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment