Sunday 26 August 2012


Live Performance Review: Juilliard Dance: Triple Bill - The Waldstein Sonata, Gnawa & Episode 31 (European Premiere) (Edinburgh International Festival (E.I.F.) 2012), Sunday 26.08.2012 20:00 The Edinburgh Playhouse, Edinburgh 

This was a fabulous programme.
The first two pieces used no set as such, just good lighting, along with sympathetic restrained music to accompany. The dancing was superbly executed with poise, precision and grace. To my untrained eye I was not aware of any flaws, and I felt these to be accomplished works.
The third piece was joyfully urgent and engrossing with more experimental tone to the movements and audio accompaniment. There felt to be vibrancy, humour and a great sense of rhythm to this piece in particular. The dancing still felt to have considerable precision, though this was not one of the prominent senses I had of it.
I cannot think of a single criticism. The last time I was left so impressed by a dance performance was when I saw Grupo Corpo (Brazilian) perform at the Festival Theatre during the E.I.F. in 2010. Bravo!
Rating: 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment