Saturday 25 August 2012


Film Review: To Kill A Mockingbird (Remastered) (P.G.), (U.S.A. 1962) (Director: Robert Mulligan), Friday 24.08.2012 17:45, The Filmhouse Screen Two, Edinburgh

This is a film I had wanted to see for some time, as I heard more about the story of 'Mockingbird'. As almost everyone who reads this will know the story concerns matters of race and prejudice in the deep south, and how justice can be arrived at in differing ways: some easier to live with than others.

I was very impressed by the acting from all involved, in particular Gregory Peck as the hero Atticus Finch and those performing as the three children. I felt the entire telling of the story was done in a measured way, with nothing feeling to be over-showy. I would say that this is a gentle film, though it is not sugar-coated.

On a trivial note I became aware before seeing the film that it contains the screen debut of Robert Duvall as the Finch families neighbor Boo Radley. This is not a large role and is a mute performance and shows the restraint that marked many of Duvall's performances to come. I was glad to see this film, and would happily watch again.

Rating: 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment