Sunday 10 June 2012

Film Review: Sing Your Song (12A) (U.S.A. 2011) (Director: Susanne Rostock), Saturday 09.06.2012 15:35 Filmhouse Screen Two, Edinburgh


This is the documentary about Harry Belafonte, Activist, Singer & Actor.
I have had a fondness for Harry ever since I can first remember hearing the Banana Boat Song (Day-O) etc. I had become more intrigued by him since in recent years reading interviews with him where his activism was discussed.

I would regard this as a fascinating documentary for anyone who has an interest in the fight for civil rights, it is more than a music (or showbiz) documentary. Watching the film gives insights to the ongoing role that Harry has played in the civil rights movement since the 1950's in the U.S. and further afield.

He struck me as a eloquent, driven, humane, passionate and humble man. An example of the youthful vigor that can still be held by someone in their 80's.

Although what he has done may gain recognition via people watching this, I had the impression that while being involved in activism, his use of his 'name' was only being done to get people together and get things done, and not to further his public profile or reputation.

I was left feeling that he is an example that all should do what they can for the betterment of other's situations.

It also did not feel to be retrospective celebration, as he is clearly still continuing to do what he can in regard to advancing civil rights; a work in progress.    

I did feel the editing felt a bit disjointed/choppy, though by the end this issue felt diminished as the editing appeared to make emotional sense. I don't think I'm putting this well, and can probably best be understood if view the film.

A satisfying view.

Rating: 08/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment