Saturday 23 June 2012

Film Review: Pusher (Edinburgh International Film Festival - Michael Powell Award Competition/World Premiere) (U.K. 2012) (Director: Luis Prieto), Thursday 21.06.2012, 20:20, Cineworld Screen Eight, Edinburgh

I tend to be weary of remakes, particularly when the original is relatively recent (1996) and extremely good. I was curious due to hearing good critical press in regard to the remake and as it was a British remake as opposed to American, I felt up for giving it a shot.

I was pleasantly surprised as felt it to be a very good film, and in no way did it feel to be a lazy copy. The story is largely similar, with different embellishments to the detail of what happens to the central characters. The physical and emotional escalating affect to the central character, up to the climax of their story within the film, I felt to have been well portrayed. The character does appear appropriately more and more strung out and desperate as the film goes on.

The central character is portrayed by Richard Coyle. I had previously only seen him in the sit-com 'Coupling' - where I found him to be the best/most-funny element, and the disappointing reprisal of the ITV Drama 'Cracker', both of which were very different roles. His partner in the film, in the biblical sense, is portrayed by Agyness Deyn, who until now has only really been known as a model. I found them both quite believable as their characters, and as those characters within their relationship. I was particularly impressed by Agyness Deyn. Considering this is her first film and I went in with reservations about her being used in the film, I felt her to be quite a revelation, and would not be put off a film in the future if she were to be in it.  

The film is well paced with little let-up, which befits the story. In contrast to the original, the colour palate used feels more vibrant. There are parts where the central character is particularly strung out, where the image feels appropriately too bright, with added visual flourishes, which work particularly well. The violence was to a degree kept of screen, or glimpsed/seen from a distance, though the aftermath is clearly portrayed - this struck me as a more traditional way of violence being portrayed, and more effective with it. 

The soundtrack was overseen by Orbital, which felt particularly appropriate, and was very good.   

The only quibbles I have are:
Why did Paul Kaye (Dennis Pennis) have to be used in a thankfully small role?
The Main kingpin dealer who the central character gets into trouble with, Milo, is played by the same actor (Zlatko Buric) who plays the character in the original 'Pusher' film. Although the part is performed very well, as it was in the original, this did jar to a degree. These quibbles are just minor nit-picking. Overall I was very Impressed, and this I must say quietly; I did find it to be a more fun film to view than the original.
I would recommend this film, for people who enjoy gritty drama.

Rating: 08/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment