Tuesday 5 June 2012

Film Review:
Prometheus 3D (15) (U.S.A. 2012) (Director: Ridley Scott), Friday 01.06.2012 00:01 VUE Screen Three, Omni Centre, Edinburgh.
Prometheus 2D (15) (U.S.A. 2012) (Director: Ridley Scott), Sunday 03.06.2012 15:40 Cameo Screen One, Edinburgh.

Firstly to say that the film looks better in 2D, the dimming caused by the 3D glasses makes it harder to make out some of the detail. I would not recommend viewing it in 3D.

Some of the negative reaction I have read of the film online, I believe the be at least in part due to ridiculously high expectations. From what I'm aware of, the original Alien film has gained in stature over years since release and was not treated initially as the classic it is now seen as. I also sense that many were wanting another 'Alien' film from Ridley and were not really watching what was in front of them. Having said this, I don't see this as a great film by any means.

I have read about an apparent strong christian element running through the film. I have to disagree with this. I think that a character within a film having Christian faith does not make the film Christian. Though this can and does lead to unnecessary speculation and assumptions doe to the presence of 'icons'.

I think there are very clear plot and character similarities between this and the other alien films - strong female leads - which I am all for, androids - again getting ripped to bits - Why? The theme of corporate interests of power, versus scientific or humane interests was again central to the plot, as in the other films. The films do come to appear repetitive due to the habits of the films that have come after the original.

I find the android character intriguing as to me it was quite clear that the character was manipulative (and manipulated) and with this appeared to show a degree of emotional engagement, which in theory should not be possible. It leaves the question of whether the character is solely an 'android', or is there some other element to him? I don't know whether it is necessary to know or whether even the films makers know, or is a 'noir' element - there for ensuring questions remain and a degree of uncertainty or mystery. I do also feel that despite this character appearing well performed, that to have an android appear in Alien, Aliens, Resurrection and now Prometheus, that this comes to appear lazy. Essentially as this is not a documentary, characters are to a degree plot devices and questions have to be raised regarding the repeated use of such characters.

I was glad that H.R. Giger was involved in the production again, and this was evident in the design which was in my mind a work of art. The entire terrain and vehicle landscape along with the visual representation of what technology can do in the realm of this cinematic universe, was distinctive and at times jaw droppingly beautiful.

I feel the film answered to a degree the questions about how the 'alien' came to be created & what the 'space jockey' was. I suspect for some it was not answered in a way they would want, due to it not meeting their own presumptions. I feel that within the context of the 'Alien' universe this made enough sense to feel to be okay, not great, though not a complete botch. The film will always have a problem, that it will inevitably be compared to 'Alien', and it would always find it very hard to compare to that. By this I am not suggesting it is cut any slack, just mealy reflecting that it was always going to be a difficult to satisfy when comparisons are going to be made to a definitive classic.

Bottom line, I found it to be visually inventive and beautiful to watch particularly in 2D, though the story and development of the film felt unsubtle and lacked satisfaction.

To put it succinctly, I know I could always watch 'Alien' and enjoy it, Prometheus will never attain a guarantee of enjoyment - it will always have niggles.

Rating: 05/10
(Alien: 10/10)
(Aliens: 04/10)
(Alien 3: 07/10)
(Alien: Resurrection: 05/10)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete