Wednesday 20 June 2012

Film Review: Jaws (Re-Release) (12A) (U.S.A. 1975/2012) (Director: Steven Spielberg) Sunday 17.06.2012, 15:40 The Cameo Cinema Screen One, Edinburgh 


I went to see this as knew it was being re-released and the 17th was my birthday, so thought it was a safe bet of a fum film to go and see on the day. I was also curious as I can only remember seeing the film once before, many years ago, and although I remember enjoying it, I did not think it was great, and could never quite grasp why it is seen as a classic - except that it was the first summer blockbuster.

The story strikes me as slight - there is essentially two battles in the film between the police and the local business community wanting to keep summer trade open ahead of concerns for health and safety, and the other battle being between the old working class salty sea dog played by Robert Shaw & Richard Dreyfuss's university educated scientist with his new fangled ways. The first battle is necessary to set up the story and the 2nd is resolved by Robert Shaw's character dying. Watching again it was clear to me that what I was most uncomfortable about was the interplay between the three male characters on the boat. This is what I recalled not enjoying, and watching again confirmed this. The behaviour seems so stereotypical masculine and the tension between Shaw & Dreyfuss resolved in such a simplistic fashion (Both had physical wounds - WoW!), that the set up appeared to be treated in an overly basic and simplistic fashion overall. It appeared to lack drama or any sense of mystery - not that it needed to have this, essentially I just did not buy the interaction as a small child and still don't, maybe it is just bad acting, though who am I to judge.

The new print does look good, though in my eyes it is still not a classic and has fairly big flaws.

Rating: 06/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment