Sunday 16 June 2013

Live Performance Review: The Stone Roses, Glasgow Green, Glasgow, Saturday 15.06.2013, 16:00 (Supports: The View, Jake Bugg, Primal Scream)

Having enjoyed so much the 'Roses' gig in Manchester last year (rated as the third best last year, and would have been the best, had there not been two of such astonishing greatness) as soon as this gig was announced I did not have to think as to whether to try to get a ticket.

The weather was intermittent with a shower prior to the 'Roses' coming on stage, though then it was lovely weather for the rest of the eve. As with Heaton Park I was in the front enclosure though this time I was closer within this area and was stood literally just behind the front row. Due to this I had a fantastic view without ever having to relay upon the screens to see what was happening. The stage was a slightly scaled down version of what was used at Heaton Park.

----------------
The Supports:

The View: I'm not keen on them and they did nothing to change that. Though I have to acknowledge that the crowd appeared to greatly appreciate them. Rating: 02/10. 

Jake Bugg: Jake is a musician I had wanted to see perform. Sadly his concerts appear to sell-out too quickly. So although a support slot is not the ideal way to see him, I was still very happy to see him perform. He did a good spread of songs from his album and a couple of newies. To consider Jake is still only 19, he has a command of singing, guitar playing (with nice variation & flourishes) and songwriting, displayed through his recordings and now supported in my mind by very capable live performance, that I feel he has to be considered as one of the most promising young British musicians. Rating: 07/10. 

Primal Scream: Quite simply, Past It. Embarrassing. Rating: 00/10.    
----------------

The Stone Roses: 
As with last year, the 'Roses', musically were fantastic. The set-list was as follows: I Wanna Be Adored/Elephant Stone/Ten Storey Love Song/Sally Cinnamon/Standing Here/Shoot You Down/Fools Gold/Something's Burning/Waterfall/Don't Stop/She Bangs The Drums/Love Spreads/This Is The One/Made Of Stone/Breaking Into Heaven/Elizabeth My Dear/I Am The Resurrection.

The 'Roses' were piped onto stage by a man in typical Scottish attire playing 'Flower of Scotland' on the bagpipes. Although I am by no means a fan of the pipes, I did think this was a nice touch. The set-list had some variations to last year and it was nice to hear the likes of Elephant Stone. From 'The Second Coming' (1994), as at Heaton Park they played 'Ten Storey Love Song' & 'Love Spreads' though replaced 'Begging You' with 'Breaking Into Heaven'; it was nice to hear the other good song from that album. The 'Roses' played for about 1 Hour 45 Minutes, just short of the length of the performance at Heaton Park.

I had greatly enjoyed the gig, though it was not the emotional experience it was last year. Though then last year was the first time of getting to see one of my favorite bands after years of expecting it to never be possible. I also suspect it is harder to feel emotional when you are being squeezed from all sides and bracing your body to try to hold onto your position in the crowd.

Ian appeared a bit more relaxed this year and was making some funny moves for the enjoyment of the audience. John and Gary were just as good as they were last year, and Alan is still the bollocks. His drumming was continually of the highest possible standard with moments which were dumbfounding in their brilliance. He is in my mind without doubt the greatest drummer in popular music.

I was surprised to find the audience both less tuneful and more aggressive than they were in Manchester, though I can not deny that the enthusiasm and volume of the 'wegie' crowd was quite remarkable. The whole of the 'Roses' performance was treated as a singsong by the crowd, which is always good fun.  

As I sit writing this the following day, I feel tired and still slightly sore. I also wonder when I will reach a point of no longer trying to get down the front of these gigs. Though then I also think, don't be stupid you love these kinds of events.

Prior to seeing the 'Roses' in Manchester last year, I considered the Red Hot Chili Peppers to have given the greatest rock performances I've seen. Heaton Park surpassed the Chili Peppers, and now it has been followed by Glasgow Green. Hopefully now we will get a new great album and then more fantastic shows.

Rating: 10/10. (& I got to shake Ian's hand.) 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete