Wednesday 5 June 2013

Live Performance Review: Billy Bragg, Monday 03.06.2013, 19:00, The Queen's Hall, Edinburgh

There was very enjoyable support from The Lost Brothers, who are two Irish chaps on vocals and acoustic guitar. They did a fantastic version of 'Lonesome Town', though regrettably I cannot find this commercially available for purchase.

Billy Bragg is someone who I have had a wish to see for some years. I have to say I was very disappointed. The banter was tired and world weary. The sound of the band struck me as sounding 'cod', to a degree that I found uncomfortable.Billy's annunciation was appalling, I could not understand what he was singing in any song except the one, which thankfully was my favorite song of his. This was the third song in, 'Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key', written by Woody Guthrie. I was not able to last the whole gig as my discomfort was great enough, though lasted I would reckon approx half of it. I am thankful I saw him perform my favorite song of his, though I would not be tempted to see him again. At least the rest of the crowd appeared to be enjoying themselves.

Rating: 01/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment