Sunday 2 June 2013

Film Review: The Stone Roses: Made Of Stone (15), (U.K. 2013) (Director: Shane Meadows), Thursday 30.05.2013 19:30, The Cameo Cinema, Screen One & Friday 14.06.2013 13:10 The Cameo Screen Three, Edinburgh

This is a film I enjoyed from start to end, though then I have to declare my bias. The film gives a decent potted history of the band, and great present day footage since their reformation. The film ends on footage of them playing 'Fools Gold' in its entirety from the Saturday 30th of June performance at Heaton Park, Manchester last year (the night I was there). This track was the highlight of a fantastic concert, and it did manage to bring back some of the euphoric feeling from that night.

The film also shows very well the indescribable power music can have & passion that people can hold towards these sounds. The footage from Warrington Parr Hall (free, first concert since reformation) of the people who did not manage to get in, was very moving, including a man who was saying that he was offering someone to give them his car in exchange for their pass to get in. How the ending came was slightly odd, going from the concerns after the disruptions of the Amsterdam show straight to Heaton Park, though this aside I cannot complain. Shane Meadows had been upfront from the off saying he was not a documentary maker, though being a fan (they are his all time favorite group), I feel helped in capturing the fevered passion which die hard fans carry for these northern scamps.

In differing ways, I found this to just as rewarding a watch as 'Searching For Sugarman' last year. I feel I have to state is very much a personal reflection, If you are not a Roses fan, I can't expect you would get the same enjoyment.

Rating: 10/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment