Sunday 2 June 2013

Live Performance Review: Iron & Wine, Friday 31.05.2013, 19:30, Barbican Hall, Barbican, London

At the end of 2012 I had speculated that there were two musical artistes who would release albums in 2013, and if they did so, I would intend to see live. One of these was Iron & Wine, when tour dates were announced sadly there were no Scottish dates. As I had seen him twice before when he had toured for his two previous albums, I initially thought not to do this extravagance. Though then also thought that when it came to the dates and if I was not going I would be grumpy to say the least. So I decided to get a ticket and managed to get a ticket for the front row.

There was a support act, thought it was not worthy of discussing. At least it was short.

Iran & Wine is the name under which a Mr Samuel Beam releases and performs music. He started out as a solo acoustic performer, though for the most recent three albums and performances he has worked with other musicians. On stage with him doing vocals and acoustic guitar, he had someone on differing keys, another on drums, another on bass, and a three piece string section, a three piece brass section and three backing singers. They performed for just under two hours. In the middle of the performance there was a parred back section and within that there was a couple of songs of just him doing solo acoustic and taking requests (or as he termed it The Iron & Wine Buffet). There was a good spread from across his recording career: a hefty chunk of the new album ('Ghost On Ghost' 2013), several from both of his last two albums ('Kiss Each Other Clean' 2011 & 'The Shepherd's Dog' 2007) and less from the first two albums ('The Creek Drank The Cradle' 2002 & 'Our Endless Numbered Days' 2004), and B-Sides & songs from E.P.s he has released. There were quite a few songs he is known to rarely play live - at absolute treat.

When I have seen him before he has taken older songs and done them well in the fashion of the music he was doing at the time. This time with the older songs, there were some he was doing in a new way (not necessarily in the stile of the new work) and some were left as they were originally recorded.

The musicianship and blending of the musicians throughout was first rate. The man himself also gave good measured banter throughout.

The first song I ever knew of his was a cover version of 'Such Great Heights', which I had known from the film 'Garden State' (2004).  I still regard this as one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. This is a song he rarely performs. When I realised he was doing the introduction to it, I found myself clenching my hand over my mouth and my jaw was clenched shut. I felt overwhelmed and this was all I could do to not be bawling at the the beauty of it.

At the end, he came back on by himself for a final number. Before he had a chance to say anything I shouted out for him to perform the beautiful 'Naked As We Came'. He then said he was going to do one more and 'as my friend over there has requested 'Naked As We Came', that is what I am going to play' (I may be paraphrasing). I was utterly delighted. He played it beautifully and afterwards the man next to me thanked me for requesting that song.

Both previous times I've seen him perform have been very good, though this was the best and a privilege to see at such close quarters. I had no regrets at taking the day off work, the cost of the journey and accommodation. An experience like this cannot be equated in terms of money, this was very special indeed.

I felt very tempted to say that this was beyond being able to be considered in terms of a rating.

Rating: 10/10.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment