Saturday 3 November 2012


Live Performance Review: Adam Ant & The Good The Mad & The Lovely Posse, Thursday 01.11.2012, 18:45, O2 A.B.C., Glasgow

To begin as way of explanation. Adam Ant was my first favorite pop star that I can remember. The first song I am aware of consciously remembering is Ant Music from 1980, when I was four. I was in Glasgow in April 2011 for another concert and saw a poster for Adam Ant at the Academy in May 2011. Myself and the three others I was with decided to go. When walking into the venue and seeing the massive Adam and the Ants logo from 1980 behind the stage, I felt quite emotional, in a way I can't fully explain. Adam that night was far better than I could have hoped for, and the crowd gave a very fevered response. Myself and one other from that party went to see him in the Picturehouse in Edinburgh in December 2011, which again was very enjoyable. After that performance I said to my mate, that I would go again if it was in support of new work.

Thursday's concert was the first night of the Blue Black Hussar Tour in support of the new album to be released on January 21st 2013 called 'Adam Ant is the Blue Black Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter'. This will be his first album since 1994.

The band sounded good before, though sound better now. The drumming, particularly the female, is very impressive, and the guitarist sounded better. Adam is still a class showman, he appeared relaxed and was not treating the older songs with too much reverence. The whole performance was very enjoyable, the lighting was striking and the songs were performed with a touch of menace (in a good way). Although there was new material including 'Cool Zombie' the first single from the new album, it would have been nice had there been more, though this feels like quibbling when the performance was as good as it was.

Rating: 08/10.       

No comments:

Post a Comment