Saturday 3 November 2012


Film Review: The Shining (15), (U.K./U.S.A. 1980) (Director: Stanley Kubrick), Wednesday 31.10.2012 20:15, The Filmhouse, Screen One, Edinburgh

This was a screening of the original U.S. cut of the film, which had never before been seen in U.K. cinemas, and went on to get a general release here on 02.11.2012. When originally released in the U.S., it was not well received, so Stanley saw to removing 25 minutes for the version that would be released in the U.K..

I had heard of the longer U.S. version seven years ago, so got myself a copy on D.V.D., and therefore have been familiar with this version for some time. It had struck me, that when I subsequently went on to mention about there being two version to others over the past seven years, no one I mentioned it to seemed to know about this.

As soon as I saw the longer U.S. version it appeared to me to be a better film. There was more build up and background given to the characters. It feels to have more depth. I have read that this detracts from the horror element. This is hard for me to detect, as I think once you have seen a horror film several times it is no longer frightening anyway. If you think you know The Shining from the version the U.K. has had for 32 years, you don't.

Some have commented that Jack's performance is over the top, though I find it very engaging and watchable. On seeing this version again in the context of a cinema, what impressed me most was the portrayal of the disturbed child by Danny Lloyd, the calm travelling camera work and the sound. Whether viewed as horror or not, I think in this longer form, the film is one of Kubrick's classic works.

I highly recommend to any film/Kubrick enthusiast.

Rating: 10/10.    

No comments:

Post a Comment