Sunday 4 November 2012

DEAD CAN DANCE: ANASTASIS 13.08.2012


Album Review: Dead Can Dance (Australia), Anastasis, Released: 13.08.2012, Label: PIAS, Available on Double Vinyl (Comes with free MP3 Download Code), C.D., MP3 Download Album & Box Set with USB Stick.

 I have liked Dead Can Dance since a friend introduced them to me back in 1996, coincidentally the year their last album 'Spiritchaser' was released. This release came as a surprise, I had no idea that Lisa Gerrard & Brendan Perry were working together again.

On previous Dead Can Dance albums I had always found the songs with Brendan singing on them to be weaker. This is no longer the case. Brendan's singing now appears to have a richness to it that was lacking in the past. Lisa's vocals are as strong as ever.

With previous Dead Can Dance albums, I found there was a tendency for a degree of patchiness and short interlude songs. Anastasis differs in this regard and I would say that there is a high degree of quality throughout. None of the songs I find to be difficult to enjoy. There is a dreamy soothing quality to it. You would not go to put this on if you wanted up tempo, though when in the right mood, this is a highly satisfying listen. The songs attain an even higher level of quality with the final two songs 'Return of the She-King' and 'All in Good Time', both of which have endued shivers in response to their staggering beauty. It is fantastic Dead Can Dance are back, long may their return continue.

When I heard about the album, I went to check about tour dates, to see that European dates had been announced and were all sold out. I hope for more dates being announced, as I had wanted to see them perform and then gave up hope due to their years of inactivity.

Rating: 09/10. (Purchased on Vinyl).

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete