Sunday 17 May 2015

Film Review: Mad Max: Fury Road (2D) (15) (Australia 2015) (Director: George Miller), Cineworld, Screen Two, Edinburgh, Saturday 16.05.2015, 12:00

I have not seen any of the previous incarnation of Mad Max and due to having issues regarding Mr. Gibson, am unlikely to. I was curious due to Tom Hardy stepping into the titular role and became more intrigued when I began to get glimpses of the steam-punk visuals, which turns out to be one of the most impressive elements of the film. 

The plot is perfunctory at best and I have to agree with Dr. Kermode, that there is not enough light and shade. In terms of plot it is fairly unrelenting. I also agree that the film could have done with a tad of a trim as is slightly over-long at 2 Hours. 

It is easy to see why comparisons between Sigourney Weaver's Ripley from the Alien films and Charlize Theron's character, Imperator Furiosa, have been drawn, though I question the idea that there is a (strong) feminist element to the film. 

The visuals in general, not just the styling, were very impressive. The vibrancy of the differing light and details in the likes of the dust are captivating. 

Though ultimately due to the flim-flam story, by the end of the film, I was not left with any sense of greatness. It was a fun romp, with nothing left lingering. The film did not cause any excitement at the prospect of this becoming a franchise in its own right and although I enjoyed the film, there is not enough depth to it to wish to return to it for further nourishment. The rating given below is only in terms of 'Action Films' as I don't feel they can be compared with other genres.  

Rating: 08/10.      

No comments:

Post a Comment