Sunday 3 May 2015

Film Review: Cobain: Montage of Heck (15) (U.S.A. 2015) (Director: Brett Morgen), Filmhouse, Screen One, Edinburgh, Sunday 02.05.2015, 20:30

Nirvana are a group that I enjoyed back to when I first heard the album 'Nevermind' (1991), sometime in the summer months of '92. I was in my final year of school when Kurt killed himself. I was curious about this film due to Kurt's daughter, Frances Bean, being one of the executive producers. I hopeful that due to this there would be no access issues in regard to what materials the film makers were able to draw upon. This was not one of the issues by some margin...

The film is poorly structured and appeared to lack any sense of direction or purpose. There were entire animated sections which I would expect to fundamentally be conjecture. Scenes such as these tended to be accompanied by re-workings of Nirvana songs which at best were distracting. There appeared to be an imbalance of focus within the film, towards Kurt's early life. I found the film wilfully chaotic and at times hard to follow. I don't think this film adds anything in regards of trying to understand this iconic musician. The only thing that grew within me as a result of watching the film is greater sympathy for Frances Bean.  I did think about walking out as was bored, though something made me stick it out. I cannot recommend this to anyone who is not an absolute Kurt die-hard. Maybe I should be reminding myself of the age I am now at and question myself as to whether films like this are really my cup-o-tea. 

Rating: 02/10.     

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete