Friday 30 May 2014

Live Performance Review: Toumani Diabate & Sidiki Diabate,  The Usher Hall, Edinburgh, Thursday 29.05.2014, 19:30

I had seen Toumani perform at the same venue a couple of years back, though had never seen his son, Sidiki before. Toumani is the 71st generation on his family to play the Kora, and Sidiki the 72nd to do so. Toumani is regarded as the worlds greatest living exponent of the Kora, and Sidiki is no mean shakes either. 

There has been an L.P. released of the two of them duetting together on the Kora, and the gig was the live promotion of this. Their skillful playing together was sublime and dreamily meditative. The hall was not jammed, though those lucky enough to be present appeared to be in raptures. 

It feels hard to convey the beauty of this music, if you don't know what the Kora sounds like in the hands of such skilled musicians. The performance felt transcendent with a conveyance of so much more than just perfect music. 

I'm trying to cut down on the number of gigs I go to, and had felt 'well I had seen Toumani before, so...', though I decided he was good enough to warrant repeat viewing. I don't think I was wrong. I'm a lucky man.

Rating: 10/10.

+ I managed to meet them briefly after the gig and was able to express my thanks.      

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete