Friday 13 June 2014

Film Review: Locke (15) (U.K./U.S.A. 2013) (Director: Steven Knight),  The Filmhouse Cinema Screen One, Edinburgh, Saturday 07.06.2014, 20:45

This is the film where you only see Tom Hardy's character Ivan Locke, as he travel during the night along motorway to arrive as quickly as he can for the birth of his new child. He has had to make a lot of adjustments in plans to do this, and the journey is punctuated with his phone calls with various people. 

Considering the simple set-up, the film works very well and I found myself engrossed in the story as it unfolded. Hardy's performance was un-showy, nuanced and believable (and included a pitch-perfect Welsh accent).

I do wonder though whether I was engrossed in part at least due to the film being that rare novel thing, a single-hander. I feel it is fair to say I found it fascinating, though I know this is not in regard to what was happening in terms of plot or development of character. Thinking about it now, several days later, it is hard to know if I would recommend this to others as although it had nothing wrong with it. Beyond the novel elements of how the story is conveyed it is hard to think as to why it feels impressive. 

Rating: 08/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment