Saturday 10 May 2014

Live Performance Review: Scottish Chamber Orchestra,  The Usher Hall, Edinburgh, Thursday 08.05.2014, 19:30

I had gone to this performance due to the fact that Beethoven's 9th Symphony was being performed. My knowledge of 'classical' music is by no means extensive, though from what I know, this is by far my favorite piece and I have wanted to see it performed for some years. I am aware of having been introduced to the 9th in a more extensive manner than just knowing the 'ode to joy', from when I first saw Stanley Kubrick's 'A Clockwork Orange' (1971) when it was re-released in British cinemas in 2000. I was impressed enough that I got myself a recording of the ninth, rather than the film soundtrack, and have played it extensively over the years.

There was a very short 'first-half', where a couple of ditties by, I think Shostakovich, certainly began with an S, were played. This was pleasant enough.    

After the interval, it was the time for the glorious 9th by Ludwig Van. I had my eyes shut for most of the performance and had waves of colours appearing as the music built over-n-over to it's many crescendos. I was having parts of it taking back to specific visual images from Kubrick's masterpiece, which caused rye smiles. I experienced goose-bumps literally all over and my breathing was affected. There were little flourishes I had never noted before which intrigued.

On a quibble note, there was one instance where there appeared to be a couple of bum notes from the French Horns. I would not class myself as musical in the sense that I can't read music, though I would say that I have a fair sense as to something sounding right or not. My friend who was there with me, and who is musical, had the same sense of this, so I would suspect we are right. Having said this I don't feel this really detracted from the performance.

I am very glad to have experienced this live, though feel sated by the experience and by this have no sense of needing to see again.

Rating: 09/10.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete