Tuesday 29 April 2014

Film Review: Tracks (12A) (Australia 2013) (Director: John Curran),  The Filmhouse Cinema Screen One, Edinburgh, Sunday 28.04.2014, 20:40

This is based on the true story of Robyn Davidson's mid 1970's trek across Australia's desert (over 1,700 Miles) aided by her black dog (Diggidy) and four camels. 

The lead role is performed by Mia Wasikowska, which to be frank is why I went to see the film. Thankfully by the end of the film I did not feel mealy to be a slave to my attractions as I genuinely found the film to be very engaging. The scenery is gorgeous and the film has a nice pace. 

The film has a good balance between portraying Robyn alone on her journey and showing the times she had to compromise by meeting at intervals with a photographer from National Geographic who had sponsored the trek. There is a passage where is accompanied by an 'elder' so she would be able to make a shorter journey through sacred lands. This did not appear to be portrayed as a compromise.  

It was clear to my how much the film had engaged me when I felt a sadness in response to Robyn's pet dog having to be shot as it had accidentally consumed some poison. Any one who knows me knows I am not a fan of dogs and their passing in a film does not usually stir me in any way. 

The film felt old fashioned, satisfying and also informative. A very pleasant couple of hours.   

Rating: 09/10.
---------------
Addendum:

I did ponder whether to note this next bit as what I am about to note is solely a personal response to the film. I decided to note the following as 'personal responses' are exactly what my reviews are:

I find Miss Wasikowska not unpleasing on the eye. Also I like people who can display a lack of vanity and allow what naturally occurs with bodies, i.e. I enjoy that rare sight of a hairy-pitted lady. The film teases by firstly showing the character having hairy legs during the trek, as to be expected and entirely appropriate given the circumstances. Later there is a scene which shows Mia's character as having substantial armpit bush. When this occurs (I feel tragic revealing this) I was aware of having to prevent myself from making an audible sound. I find the image beautiful, yet finding it beautiful also has a tragic element to it. Tragic, as at least a measure of the beauty seen in it is due to exotic nature of this within western society. I seriously do not feel this should be a rare sight in the western world. If I had any say in the matter I would like for the reverse of what is current to be the case, i.e. hairy armpits the norm, and shaved to be the exotic. 

- There is a serious point to this. This is very un-Hollywood. I feel it is important that there are visual examples for people, particularly young ladies, as to what a young beautiful body naturally looks like when it's not been extensively preened. I feel it is great that here is recognisable actress in a portrayal of a character that presents a riposte to the artificial yet mass-media proliferated western notions or ideas of beauty. All examples like this assist to move away from society where we have such high levels of body dimorphism, as these examples make it explicit that the 'norm' is only that and there are so many other ways to be. I was delighted on a personal aesthetic level and a political level that this was in the film.         

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete