Saturday 12 April 2014

Film Review: A Story Of Children and Film (PG) (U.K. 2013) (Director: Mark Cousins) (English, Japanese, Russian, Swedish, Polish, Czech and Persian with English Subtitles),  The Filmhouse Cinema Screen Two, Edinburgh, Monday 07.0.2014, 18:15

This is a documentary film that explores on a global scale how children have been represented on film within differing cultures and times in history. I was not sold on this beforehand as have often found the portrayal of children in films to be mawkish and overly-sentimental.

Early on the narration told you that the film focuses on films where children have been the central characters, I suspect that this made a difference in the films being considered and assisted with avoiding the overtly saccharine. I was very impressed by the breadth of film cultures covered many of which would probably be fairly obscure to a British viewer. I would consider myself to be a bit of a film geek, though for me there was hardly anything that was recognisable to me.

I would say the film was interesting and assisted to give an idea of what may be seen as universal across cultures as to how childhood has been portrayed over the years, as well as aspects particular to certain cultures. In no way was the film startling or revelatory, and it feels impossible to consider this a great watch. Though as well as being interesting, I would also say that the film has a strong element of endearing charm, and it felt to be an enjoyable and satisfying watch.

Rating: 07/10.

Due to the films release, many of the films covered within the documentary are going to be getting shown in the U.K., many for the first time. Te documentary was interesting enough that I have got tickets for going to see three of these films.        

No comments:

Post a Comment