Monday 28 October 2013

Live Performance Review: Warpaint, O2 ABC, Glasgow, Monday 28.10.2013, 19:00

I have seen this group previously on 23.08.2011 at the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh. On that occasion they gave a very good performance, though it was not excellent. Wikipedia describe them as art-rock. I'm not sure what that means, though I find them very hard to describe beyond being able to say that some of their songs are very dreamy and all of their songs are quite funky (& I think they sound sexy - whatever that is). 

Warpaint are a four piece all female group from L.A., they currently have two L.P. type releases. In 2009 the mini-L.P. (six tracks) of 'Exquisite Corpse' was released followed the following year by the full L.P. of 'The Fool'. Their next long-player is expected to be released early in 2014 and is understood to be self-titled. Of the two releases so far, I prefer 'Exquisite Corpse', though both are very impressive. 

It was only after I became introduced to 'Exquisite Corpse' that I found out that it was recorded and engineered by my rock hero John Frusciante, formally of the Red Hot Chili Peppers who happened to be dating Emily Kokal (Warpaint's lead vocalist) at the time. Once this detail is known, you can hear his touch on the recording. 

There were two supports at the gig/ The first from Liverpool, called 'All We Are' were very impressive and I would have happily have listened to them for longer. If I notice recordings of them in the future I would check them out. The second support were called 'Pins' and are really not worth bothering with. 

Warpaint played all bar one of the tracks from 'Exquisite Corpse', a good dose of ones from 'The Fool', and some new ones that sounded very impressive. The synchronicity and harmonising between the band members was very noticeable and impressive. There was some great jams and musical journeys sensuous enough to to cause ecstatic goosebumps. 

Although all four members were great, particular mention has to be given to Jenny Lee Lindberg (Bass) who clearly acts as the anchor for the band and displayed very dexterous playing. Stella Mozgawa who was very impressive on the drums with lovely little details being fitted in with ease and Emily (on lead guitar and keys as well as vocals). All of the members appeared to be having fun, particularly Jenny. The lighting was also very impressive, and the crowd although not sold-out was a decent size and very enthusiastic. They played for a decent period of time; approx 1 Hour 40/45, and I really find it hard to find any fault at all at with the performance. 

I have the lovely task of reporting that for two nights in a row I feel I have experienced faultless gigs.

Rating: 10/10.   

2 comments:

  1. Hi, it's Lee here, the one you spent most of the night talking to! I have to agree with pretty much all your comments here - it very much reflects my opinion of the night. All We Are I would happily pay to see again, and Pins I would happily pay to avoid - I think they were rather punching above their weight landing a gig like that. As for Warpaint - well, they pretty much blew me away. I was expecting it to be good, but as live performances go, that was something pretty special and there wasn't a single moment that lost my attention or didn't go down so well. I'm still buzzing from it this morning. Anyway, I may well see you around at some more gigs in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken me until today, January the 16th to notice this comment. Thank you for your very nice comments. It will be a pleasure to bump into you again at future gigs, all the best, space monki.

      Delete