Sunday 27 October 2013

Live Performance Review: Suede, Barrowlands Ballroom, Glasgow, Sunday 27.10.2013, 19:00

I last saw Suede perform at the very unusual venue of the Meadowbank Sports Centre in Edinburgh on 13.02.1997. This was on the tour for their third album 'Coming Up' (1996) and was a very good performance.   

I got a ticket for this gig when a colleague who I go to some gigs with mentioned wanting to see them when the tour was announced, and I immediately thought I was up for that. It was only on the day of the gig that I remembered details such as I was introduced to Suede by friends at school in my final year of secondary school. The same friends who also introduced me to others favorites for many years such as The Levellers and Chumbawamba. Also the night that I lost my virginity in 1995, Suede's self titled first album (1993) was playing on repeat throughout the night. Clearly I have some significant memories attached to this group. 

This was the first time I was at the Barrowlands since 2005, and it is still one of my favorite venues, along with the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh. 

The support was forgetably bland. 

Suede's performance focused largely upon their first three albums, the above mentioned two and 1994's 'Dog Man Star', as well as the new album 'Bloodsports' (2013), which I have not heard yet, though have on order. It was a consummate performance with singer Brett Anderson producing an extremely energetic and nuanced display, playing to the crowd as only a seasoned confident front man can. Guitarist Richard Oakes was also of note, approaching his performance with gusto. The gig was sold out and the crowd were rapturous without any signs of the oft Glaswegian gig agro. There was a sense of joyous euphoria throughout capped of with the anthemic 'New Generation' from 'Dog Man Star' at the end of the encore. I would go so far as to say it was a fantastically faultless show. Absolutely brilliant.

Rating: 10/10. 

On a sad note, it was also at the gig that I learned of the death of one of my favorite musicians, with the group dedicating one of the songs to Mr Lou Reed who had died that day. Thankfully I had the pleasure of seeing Lou perform twice. R.I.P. Lou, you helped give courage and confidence to many a deviant.

No comments:

Post a Comment