Sunday 31 March 2013


Film Review: Trance (15), (U.K. 2013) (Director: Danny Boyle), Thursday 28.03.2013 20:40, The Cameo Cinema, Screen One, Edinburgh

I'm not always curious enough to go to see Danny Boyle films. With this one it was the cast that drew me to want to see it. The film centres around a theft from an art auction. The one (James McAvoy) who has stolen the piece then develops amnesia so is unable to tell the gang (lead by Vincent Cassel) he was working with as to where the treasure is.

The plot then has James see a hypnotherapist (Rosario Dawson) to see if the information can be retrieved. It is after this point that the plot becomes convoluted and it becomes clear that the hypnotherapist has been involved for considerably longer than what was originally suggested....Not to say any more in case I spoil it for anyone.

The development of plot and twists was okay, though it did not feel to be anything particularly well done. I was aware of not caring as to who came out on top and who was trodden on in the process, which suggests weak character development. I was aware of there being odd camera angles used, without understanding as to why this was being done. The central actors appeared fine and worked well with what they had. I felt that Rosario's character in particular was underused, and the film could have benefited from greater exploration of her character.

I found the film to not be exciting and was rather disappointed by it. I was not personally a fan of Danny Boyle's last film but one 'Slumdog Millionaire' (2008), though having said that, I found it a lot more exciting and better made than this. I would struggle to recommend.

Rating: 4/10.  

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete