Sunday 3 March 2013


Film Review: Stoker (18), (U.K./U.S.A. 2013) (Director: Park Chan-Wook), Friday 01.03.2013 20:45 & Sunday 03.03.2013 15:40, The Cameo Cinema, Screen One, Edinburgh, & Monday 29.04.2013 20:30 Filmhouse Screen One

As soon as I heard of this film I was intrigued due to it having been made by Chan-Wook Park, the director behind the fantastic 'Old Boy' (2003), though I was also equally put of by it featuring Nicole Kidman, an actress I usually take every precaution to avoid. Having heard some positive crits, I decided to give it a go. 

There are big twists central to the story, so I'll to not say too much in regard to the plot, as to not risk giving away the twists. The film concerns corrosive family secrets, mental illness, sexual awakening and how people are always more than what we know of them. Nicole Kidman's character, the widow, appears pleasingly (in my eyes) dumb by the end. Matthew Goode (recently in BBC2's Dancing On The Edge) is very good as the cold sociopathic uncle Charlie, who the other family members know very little about. 

The central character, the daughter India, is played by Mia Wasikowska. Her performance is extremely impressive, displaying restraint around the judging family and greater extremes elsewhere as a balancing release, while at times appearing to be unsure as to who she sees herself to be. Her manner of holding herself, her movement and what she does with her eyes I found to be quite sharp yet vulnerable and sensual. There are scenes including where she brushes her mother's hair, where she subtly portrays the pleasure of awakening awareness of sex and sexuality, in a manner that I found to be quickening. There is also a 'piano duet' which is particularly well performed and which lingers on the difficulty of restraint when first becoming familiar with arousal.  

The film is stylish and beautiful throughout, with scenes that are surprising as to what is visually focused upon, while bringing out the striking in the mundane. The film has noir elements, there are aspects where it is not clear as to how aware some characters are as to what is going on and therefore how complicit they may be.  

While Old Boy left with a sense of the desperateness of revenge and the restorative power of acceptance, Stoker leaves with a sense of empowerment and chilling nihilistic dislocation.

There are elements such as the arousal created by someone coming to rescue that results in murder, that could be labeled grubby, perverse and that dreaded term 'dark'. I think it could equally been seen as having a refreshing lack of saccharine dusting, and as a legitimate addressing of emotional reactions that are all to possible in real life.

I experienced this as a very satisfying watch of which I could find no fault and which has left elements strongly lingering. I would recommend to others who don't need films to have nice sweet resolutions, though I am clear that this will not appeal to the masses. I was captivated enough that I went to see it twice in three days. Easily the best fictional film of the year to date. (Not even Ms. Kidman could ruin this this one.)

Upon seeing for a third time, I was struck by the plethora of subtleties, an attention to detail & the exquisite imagery and framing throughout; a masterpiece.   

Rating: 10/10.         

No comments:

Post a Comment