Monday 28 January 2013


Film Review: Zero Dark Thirty (15), (U.S.A. 2012) (Director: Kathryn Bigelow), Saturday 26.01.2013 17:00, The Cameo Cinema, Screen One, Edinburgh

I was not interested in this until I watched Film 2013 on 23.01.2013. I did not enjoy Kathryn Bigelow's last film 'The Hurt Locker', and generally find her films to be too masculine for my tastes. It was hearing comments about the flawlessness of the last 40 minutes of the film that intrigued me. I also had hope as the lead is performed by Jessica Chastain, who I have seen in several film performances over the past couple of years and find her to be dependably good. This is the film about the hunt for Osama Bin Laden.

The so-called 'controversy' about the torture scenes, strikes me as silly. They are shown early in the film and presented as clearly having no positive affect on their quest. Katheryn Bigelow is being accused of being manipulative with images used and also of being the United States Military Forces lap-dog in this regard. To have not included such scenes would have been more circumspect in my view. I think such scenes had to be included and agree that depiction is not the same as condoning. Beyond making such observations, I think it is not possible to judge the film-maker positively or negatively on the basis of this single film. As has been pointed out this is a 'film' based on an exploratory process that did occur, though it is certainly not journalism.    

As with Lincoln, which I watched just prior to this, the central performance was very impressive and well handled. A serious portrayal of a serious role. I could not grumble about any of the supporting actors, though it is Jessica who holds the attention throughout. The pacing was apt, with the sense of urgency increasing to the climax. It felt more engrossing than Lincoln (perhaps this is due to it relating to very recent events), and although long the running time felt appropriate and it did not appear to drag. I would not say it was exciting, this may not have been possible with the outcome having been known beforehand, though it did feel gripping right up to the end.

Rating: 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment