Sunday 13 January 2013


Film Review: American Mary (18), (Canada 2012) (Directors: Jen Soska & Sylvia Soska), Saturday 12.01.2013 22:00, The Filmhouse, Screen Two, Edinburgh (Followed by Q&A with the Directors & The film's star Katherine Isabelle)

This is regarded as a horror film (as with the lead actress I'm not sure of this categorisation), which I was intrigued by due to the amount of glowing reviews it had been receiving and due to it concerning body modification, an area of expression I am interested in and which is barely covered in films with cinematic release.

The story concerns a surgery student Mary Mason (Katherine Isabelle) who becomes disillusioned with her studies and becomes involved in carrying out procedures on people wanting body modification. The film deals with prejudice towards body modification, though not in any great depth (though at least it is being covered). Nor does it really deal in any great depth the reasoning as to why people want body modification except touching upon elements of expression and self-protection. Again, good it is being covered at all, for this to be explored in great depth it would probably take a drama for this.

The film also contains aspects concerning love and protecting loved ones, grief, abuse, exploitation and revenge. The central performance is great and carries the film. The film has lots of humorous elements and moments. There are also moments which some would find squeamish, though within these moments a lot is suggested rather than seen, as with any good horror. The film is very enjoyable in the most part. Towards the end it does appear to become slightly unsure as to how to end.

This is the directors, also known as the twisted twins, second film, though the first with any budget to speak of. On this showing, they have considerable potential and I will be intrigued to see how they develop. I would recommend to those interested in original horror films and films that concern society's fringe communities.

Rating: 8/10.

The Q&A was fun and the directors and star came across as bubbly and enthusiastic folk. I had a question to put to them, though at the Q&A they were handing out posters to anyone who asks a question, which made me more reluctant. I was there with a friend and did not wish to appear to be just out to get freebies. I went ahead and asked the question. I had noticed with curiosity that the film is set in Aberdeen Washington, which I have only really ever known of due to it having been where Kurt Cobain grew up, and this is the first film I have known of to be set there. I asked if there was significance to the setting the film there, to which I think it was Sylvia confirmed it was due to her being a massive fan of Kurt Cobain. I am now the proud owner of an American Mary poster.       

No comments:

Post a Comment