Sunday 20 January 2013


Film Review: The Sessions (15) (U.S.A. 2012) (Director: Ben Lewin) Sunday 20.01.2013 15:30 The Cameo Cinema Screen Two, Edinburgh 

This film is based on the true story of Mark O'Brian (John Hawkes), a quadriplegic confined to spending half of his time in an iron lung and the other half inert and horizontal, who aged 38 employs a 'sex-surrogate' (Helen Hunt) to assist him with loosing his virginity. When I first Heard about this film, I was not drawn to it, as suspected as it is American, that the subject would be treated in some trivial or saccharine way. Then the more I heard about it, the more intrigued I became. 

I am glad I went to see this. It is humorous & humane; an entirely appropriate and adult treatment of the story/subject matter. It never drifts into titillation, or mawkish sentimentality. This shows, that given particular subject matter, the United States is entirely capable of an intelligent presentation of sex and the realities of the human body (not just in regard to disabled bodies). 

I thought Hawkes & Hunt were very engaging as well as acceptable and believable in the roles. Even William H. Macy, who I usually find quite difficult (with the exceptions of 'Magnolia' & 'The Cooler'), in the minor role as Mark's priest was perfectly watchable. I found the entire film to be genuinely refreshing, engrossing and heartwarming. By the end I was in tears due to the beauty of the story and it's telling. I would recommend to anyone. The first film of 2013 that I can find no fault with. 

Rating: 10/10.     


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete