Saturday 5 December 2015

Live Performance Review: Dynamo: Magician Impossible - Seeing is Believing, Sunday 29.11.2015 20:00, The Playhouse, Edinburgh

Regrettably, to a large extent, the only way I can write about this performance is by referencing how it compares to the only other magician/illusionist I've seen perform, the Master, Mr. Derren Brown. 

It was a shorter performance by some considerable margin. It was far less intense in pace and due to this I felt it was easier not to concentrate as much. The illusions, I would also say to on the whole be a less impressive. If you have seen all of his television programmes, there was nothing new. 

The illusion that started the 2nd half did not feel to be particularly well carried off, being a case where I could tell what the illusion was before it's climax. 

There were some impressive parts, though I also feel there was far too much referencing back to his childhood, again nothing new having seen his programmes. I have to keep in mind that this was his first live tour and the only comparison I have is a hyper intelligent slick performer who had already done several tours before I saw him for my first time of four. It looks as though the Master may be retiring from touring, though I don't feel excited enough by Dynamo to have him replace his superior. Despite the negative comments, I did enjoy myself though did leave feeling slightly short-changed. 

Rating: 07/10.        

No comments:

Post a Comment