Sunday 9 November 2014

Live Performance Review: Grupo Corpo, Wednesday 05.11.2014 19:30, The Festival Theatre, Edinburgh

Grupo Corpo are a Brazilian Contemporary Dance Troupe who I seen previously in the Edinburgh International Festival in 2010. The previous performance I had seen I still regard as one of the finest dance performances I have seen. 

What strikes me now is what had struck me before, the dancers have a fluidity and synchronicity to their movement that is gob-smackingly good. Differing sections of dancers may be doing differing movements, yet they all complement and integrate. Unless you pay close attention, it is the differing sections that can make it appear less syncronised than it is. There is also a delightful teasing element to Grupo Corpo's performances. 

One of the pieces they did I had seen them do the previous time. The second piece had an earthier sense to it. It felt less sexy then the previous performance largely due to the piece they did not do this time, though had done last time. Despite this the performance was without question impressively captivating and engrossingly hypnotic.

Rating: 10/10.     

No comments:

Post a Comment