Thursday 20 November 2014

Film Review: Between Dog And Wolf: The New Model Army Story (NOT YET CERTIFICATED) (U.K. 2013) (Director: Matt Reid), Filmhouse, Screen Two, Edinburgh, Wednesday 19.11.2014, 20:30

I went to see this film due to the fact that it was 'Green and Grey' (1989) by New Model Army (N.M.A.) which was either the first or one of the very first singles I ever bought. I remember seeing the promotional video on I.T.V.'s Saturday Morning Chart Show, and feeling that it was very distinctive and immediately appealed to me. I shortly after bought the single on 7" vinyl at the local Woolworths store, and still have it in very good condition. I still like this song as much as I ever did. 

Looking back I feel that for anyone who knows me, this was an early clue as to who I have become. Although it is not covered in the film, N.M.A. are regarded as being a big influence on the Levellers who for a considerable number of years I regarded as my favorite band and have seen more than any other live music performers (17 times). I have never seen N.M.A. live, I do have the early albums, though have never become an avid fan.   

N.M.A. are known to be a band who have never played the 'fame game' and who keep themselves to themselves. So this film has to potential the be genuinely quite revealing. 

The film itself I found very interesting. It is constructed in a way that tries to retain a wider appeal that just targeting N.M.A. fans. For myself who has low level interest I found it enlightening. The singer and founding member, Justin Sullivan appears to be a very principled strident man, though he is also clearly very intelligent, informed, decent and charming. I had also never realised that there has been one person called Jooles who is responsible for all of their imagery/art-work, and who Justin credits as the person who got things going. Jooles is another clearly very strong willed person who according to the film is not to the tastes of all N.M.A. fans, though I found her to be as equally engaging and endearing as Justin. The film does contain approx a 20 year gap (90's & 00's) in the bands career though this explained by there being a dearth of footage from this period.

I would recommend the film to anyone who is interested in principled artists who stay true to their ideals and don't 'sell-out'. I don't know if I would now go to see them live. It is a possibility though I am trying to curb my excesses. 

Rating: 08/10. 

There was a Q&A afterwards with the director, producer & Justin himself. To have Justin present for a Q&A is a very rare thing. As in the film he came over as a thoroughly decent, charming and considered gentleman & I now have my 'Green and Grey' single signed.  

              

No comments:

Post a Comment