Saturday 4 October 2014

Live Performance Review: Billy Connolly: High Horse Tour Scotland 2014, Saturday 04.10.2014 20:00, The Usher Hall, Edinburgh 

This is the third time I have had the pleasure of seeing Connolly live, having first see in '94 and then again in '97. The first time was in Eden Court Theatre with my mum when I was in my final year of school, the second was at the Playhouse in Edinburgh. Connolly was infused into the fabric of my childhood, listening to his early material on tapes while being driven around by our dad, trying to listen through the upstairs floorboards as to what he is saying in the latest recording of the telly. 

As time moved on Connolly lost his position as my favorite comedian, though he has always remained a performer who I feel very fond off. I had in recent times began to think that he had begun to tame his material, which I felt was disappointing. To be blunt I only got the ticket for this show as strongly suspect that this may well be his final tour with his varying aliments. 

2 & 1/4 Hours with no break; still one of the best chucklemisters in the bizz. It was quite clear that his movement is restricted at times and there was no attempt to hide that he was using a note of prompts. None of the signs of frailty remained in the mind for long, as Connolly is still as mentally sharp and profanely off-the-leash as ever. Physical spasms and stitches; it's does one good to get that experience every once in a while. 

Rating (without hesitation): 10/10.   

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete