Saturday 18 October 2014

Film Review: A Most Wanted Man (15) (U.K./U.S.A./Germany 2014) (Director: Anton Corbjin), Filmhouse, Screen One, Edinburgh, Monday 13.10.2014, 20:30

This is a spy drama based on a novel written by John Le Carre set in Hamburg with Philip Seymour Hoffman in the lead role. This film has had a lot of very glowing responses, I suspect a lot of this is due to the lead being highly regarded before he died. I have to say it was all quite perfunctorily satisfactory. The ticks and gestures done by Hoffman which have often been raised in rave responses appear nothing exceptional to me. All of the micro-gestures done while trying to persuade and appeal, I have seen done by Derren Brown in his performances. It was a perfectly amenable way to spend a Monday eve, though it won't be troubling my memory. 

Rating: (a generous) 06/10.      

No comments:

Post a Comment