Thursday 14 November 2013

Live Performance Review: Depeche Mode,  The SSE Hydro, Glasgow, Monday 11.11.2013, 18:30

I previously saw Depeche Mode perform on the 12th of December 2009 in Hall 4 of the S.E.C.C.. 

There was support this time from 'The Jezebels' from Australia, who were nothing of note.

The two times I have seen Depeche Mode I have gone with the same friend. Although we had both enjoyed the previous performance, we both felt this to be a better concert. This is the first time I had been to a performance at the Hydro and it is certainly a better venue than the S.E.C.C., though that aint exactly hard. The sound appeared better and the shape of the spacing was improved. 

Both the group and the audience appeared more into it this time than last, which may reflect more upon a shift in where the group feel themselves to be. The volume of the audience's singing that 'dancing Dave' managed to encourage out of them was of a startling nature even by wegie standards. The group's use of screens and lighting was very impressive and assisted in adding to the diverse nature of the set performed. 

The set list was a very good balance from across earlier albums and the new album from this year, 'Delta Machine'. They played about half of the 'Violator' (1990) album, a couple of songs from each of 'Playing the Angel' (2005), 'Songs of Faith & Devotion' (1993) (including one of my favorite songs 'I Feel You'), 'Music for the Masses' (1987) & 'Black Celebration' (1986) as well as early classics such as 'Just Can't Get Enough'. 

Depeche managed a fantastically sustained show, fitting in 20 songs into a couple of hours on stage, I have now heard Depeche perform all of my favorites of theirs bar one. I cannie grumble. 

This gig showed me the jubilant euphoria I have been used to seeing in footage of Depeche performing. I am aware that Depeche Mode are not to everyone's tastes, with some seeing them to be a bit on the dark side. Though if you appreciate the Mode and are thinking of seeing them, I would happily recommend, and hopefully you could experience a show as good as Monday eve's.

Rating: 10/10.             

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete